Our Family

Our Family

Monday, May 2, 2011

A 30th to remember post 2 of 2

(warning that this post is severely picture happy)

As you all know from post #1 of my 30th birthday festivities the night started out with dinner and a trip to the chocolate bar with some family and friends. Well for about a month or so my mommy bff Robyn had been telling me about how on that same night her hubby who we adoringly call Dr Rog (he is a surgical resident) had a meet and greet with the new residents at Lucky Strike bowling. Well while at the chocolate bar at around 8ish she gets a call from him saying that he left his wallet in her purse. I distinctly remember her being overly loud and saying "What your wallet is in my purse?" and digging through and pulling it out and giving me a look that said "ugh I am so annoyed with him" haha. She asks if its okay if we (me, jenny and her) go by the lucky strike real quick to take it to him before heading home. Me in my buzzed state says "Yeah lets take it to him and mingle with some residents, maybe they will let us bowl a round or two." So we go ahead and head out to Lucky Strike.


Everyone waiting for me to get there


As we walk into the bowling alley I see Dr. Rog first (he was standing in front of everyone as a decoy) and I run up the stairs all excited to see him and as I start to yell " Hey Dr. Rog" everyone starts yelling at me. haha I turn to play along and it literally takes me about 5 seconds to realize that 1. I know all these people and 2. non of them are medical residents. It was all my family and friends yelling a big fat "Surprise!"

This is before the realization

After the realization

Crying hugs for the hubby

Derrek had put together a slide show of pictures that they had playing on the screens at the end of our lanes. I could not believe the work he put into this party. It was so amazing. I found out later that it was open bar for our friends and he had pre ordered food for everyone to snack on.

This is me watching the slide show

He even bought bowling pins to give to the highest scorer and the lowest scorer. He also bought one for me and he got one for Robyn for putting in so much hard work and helping him plan this awesome event.

Here he is showing me the pins that he was going to give away. Mine is the wood grain one that he is holding in the picture.

This is the one that he presented to Robyn.

The popular drink of the night was the fish bowl.

Let the fun begin

After changing my clothes (b/c lets face it I couldn't bowl in a dress) it was time TO BOWL!!!

Dr. Rog taking his game very seriously.

My preggo friend Kim (we actually had 4 preggos at the party that night heehee)

I might look like I know what I am doing but I am the WORST bowler ever. I honestly really should have bumpers on the sides :)

This is my happy dance that I performed every time I bowled a good one. i think that only happened twice in the whole night.

This must have been after my second strike of the night

Thats right I am the BOMB

I also have to chronicle Robyn's many adventures through her fish bowl (which has now lovingly become her new nickname) I have a bad habit of teasing my dear friend over never finishing any of her adult beverages. Love you Robyn!!! But on this particular evening she came through with flying colors.

The beginning of the fish bowl

And then the progression of the disappearing fish bowl


Thats right suck it up girlfriend

The proud moment of completion. Go Robyn, Go Robyn, Go Robyn!!!!

So proud of her!!!

As the night continues i find out that it is time for cake. WHAT? He got me a cake too?? I was so impressed that he thought of every little detail. How lucky can one girl be I ask?

And here it is in all of its glory. My 30th Birthday cake!!! It was beautiful and tasted AMAZING!


A more close up view.
Is that not one gorgeous cake??

What an amazing night we all had. After it was all over Derrek told me that he had reserved a room for us at the Four Seasons (oh la la) and that we had a late checkout time so we were able to just lounge and relax the whole next day.

Here are some shots of me and some party goers.

Me, Johnna, Kim, Amanda and Colette (colette was preggo #2)

Me with my sisters and my brother Michael

me and my cousins

Me with my high school bff Iliana and her boyfriend Steven

The Karlsen's, The Burkharts (she is preggo #3) and Dr. Rog

My neighbor (and preggo #4 who delivered her son days later) Danette

Me and various bff's from my life

At the end of the night Steven got the highest scoring pin (he was in some serious competition with my dad haha) and my sister Ronnie got the lowest scoring pin :) It was everything I could have hoped for and more in a birthday party. Turning the big 3-0 turned out to be fantastic!! Thank you to Robyn and Jenny for helping with the details. Again i am one lucky girl to have such amazing friends and a HUGE thank you to my wonderful husband for giving me what I always wanted on my 30th birthday, A PARTY!!! You are so amazing and I love you so very much!!!

Now that I have kicked my 30's off in rock star fashion I have a feeling this is going to be a great decade!

3 comments:

Roger and Robyn said...

Hooray! The pictures I have been waiting for! It was such a fun night, and it was especially nice to not have to lie and scheme anymore. hee hee. So glad you turned 30! :)

Mary Pat said...

I was SOOO excited about reading this post! I don't even know where to start...Derrek did a great job with every detail: the slide show, the bowling pins for awards, the cake!! So proud of Robyn with that fish bowl :) What great, sneaky friends you have to help get you to Lucky Strike! I'm so glad you had such a great 30th celebration - you deserve it!

Jenny said...

Oh what a super happy and fun night! Your hubby is the best and you are the cutest guest of honor, I loved watching how happy you were and how much fun you were having! Happy birthday Emily, we all love you!